Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood

“The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost describes the two presidential campaigns. Senator Obama promises change, which means putting himself in the White House, not another Republican. Senator McCain promises to reach across the aisle to solve the country’s problems, which means accepting what Democrats want and declaring the problems solved.

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;”

Translation: It would be nice to know the outcome before starting

“Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,”

Translation: Six of one; half a dozen of the other

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.”

Translation: Neither path had been taken that morning

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

Translation: What? As both was equally worn and neither had been trampled in the early morning, there was no difference

Summing up: No difference. The election is largely about who fills the offices in the federal buildings in Washington.

3 comments :

Jim Tavegia said...

I think Frost is pointing to the fact that we all must make choices in our lives and that there is no going back. And, if you put effort and seriousness into your travels it can "make all the difference". There is no wrong road, just wrong choices you can make along the way and by what intent you make your choices can have a positive or negative impact on others as well as yourself.

Jim Tavegia

Sam said...

This could be updated

The Road Not Taken
(Frost-Obama)

Two roads diverged in a crisis mood –
A brand new term of bailout skids.
And using what I understood,
I looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent and broke our kids.

Then took the other, far more fair,
Though few in power make that claim,
Because they seek to stay the same.
Yet economic sense shows where
A road to serfdom awaits them there.

I say this for our progeny,
To keep from serfdom ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a plight, and I –
I sought the sound free-market way,
And that made all the difference.



A nation that debases its currency with fiat money signs its own death warrant

Sam said...

Sam Advanski -

The Road Not Taken
(Frost-Obama)

Two roads diverged in a crisis mood –
A brand new term of bailout skids.
And using what I understood,
I looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent and broke our kids.

Then took the other, far more fair,
Though few in power make that claim,
Because they seek to stay the same.
Yet economic sense shows where
A road to serfdom awaits them there.

I say this for our progeny,
To keep from serfdom ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a plight, and I –
I sought the sound free-market way,
And that made all the difference.



A nation that debases its currency with fiat money signs its own death warrant