Friday, February 11, 2011

Confucius Analect of the Week, February 11, 2011

Confucius is obsessed with learning, which explains why Chinese parents emphasize education.  But he is no mamby-pamby, talking about median achievement or remedial education.

My favorite learning analect is in Chapter VII, Verse 8 (James R. Ware):

“I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try.  If I mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the other three, I drop him.”

Perhaps this is why the Shanghai students ranked number 1 in the last global achievement test.

Reinforcement appears in Chapter V, Verse 28:

“A hamlet of ten homes will surely contain someone as loyal and reliable as I, but none to equal my love of learning.”

Learning is such an important theme in the Analects that subsequent posts will return to the subject from time to time.

1 comment :

Kauai Computer Connection said...

Mr. Rabushka, thanks for the Confucius quote. It inspired a short at my blog. I didn't really answer my own question.