Thursday, February 3, 2011

Confucius Analect of the Week, February 4, 2011

One Chinese historical figure above all, the Duke of Chou, embodied the virtues that Confucius expounds in the Analects.  Confucius bemoans his own shortcoming when he declares “How I have fallen.  For some time now I haven’t seen the Duke of Chou in my dreams.”  (James R. Ware, Chapter VII, Verse 5) Practicing good governance requires one to commune with the Duke through dreams.

James K. Legge’s translation and interpretation is similar.  The Master said, “Extreme is my decay. For a long time, I have not dreamed, as I was wont to do, that I saw the duke of Chau.”

Communist rule pushed aside the classics for decades.  Only recently has there been a Confucian revival.  Perchance to dream of the Duke of Chou, and gain virtue.

Happy New Year in the Year of the Rabbit!

No comments :