U.S. civilian and military officials frequently apologize to Muslim countries for acts deemed offensive and insensitive to Muslims, most recently the burning of Korans in Afghanistan that has thus far resulted in the death of four Americans. Lives lost for unintentional but insensitive disposal of Korans hardly seems a fair trade. First degree murder requires proof of intent.
Thoughtful Ideas suggests the following steps to eliminate or reduce the likelihood of committing further insensitive acts:
1. Immediately withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan.
2. Reduce the U.S. diplomatic footprint in Iraq and other Muslim countries to a bare bones minimum.
3. End all financial and military assistance to Muslim countries.
4. Require all Muslim countries that request U.S. aid of any kind to grant U.S. Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and those of other faiths full open permission to practice their faiths, possess their bibles, and wear their religious symbols.
5. Let those countries that depend on Middle East oil provide the ships, airplanes, and forces required to insure the free flow of oil through the Strait of Hormuz and reduce the U.S. presence.