Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Suspending My Campaign

Fill in the name:  Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, and all the others that have dropped out, and will soon drop out, of the race for their party's presidential nomination.

But why can't they be more precise?  Suspend means to TEMPORARILY prevent from continuing or being in force or effect.  Are the "suspenders" keeping their options open to reenter the race at some later date?

What they really mean is "end,""terminate," "done," "finished," "kaput," or other words that state "it's over!"

How about "I am ending my campaign because I have run out of money," or because "the voters don't want me."

While we are at it, how about one other change in language?  Have you noticed that every candidate says "our campaign," never "my campaign." Who is the political "we?"  All those who expect to get real or psychological rewards from choosing the winner?  Or is just too embarrassing and egocentric to say "me?"  The only time the "me" or "my" word appears is when the candidates is suspending "my" campaign.

Sigh.

No comments :